One PhD student position is available to start in Sep. 2016 in Prof. Guangrui Xia’s group, in the Department of Materials Engineering, the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada|
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the research, students with a master degree from Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Microelectronics, Applied Physics, Physics, Chemistry or other-related fields are all welcome. Please note that candidates to the PhD program of the department need to have a master degree or expect a master degree before Sep. 2016.
1. GPA ranking above 10 out of 30 (for Chinese schools), with major GPA > 85/100.
2. Undergraduate education from the following universities is desired: Tsinghua University, Peking University, University of Science and Technology of China, Zhejiang University, Nanjing University, Fudan University, Shanghai Jiaotong, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
3. Proficient with C++ or Fortune or Matlab, preferably has done projects with more than 200 lines of programming.
4. Courses on semiconductor materials and devices or optics are desired.
5. Experience with finite element analysis simulation tool is a plus.
6. A solid background in physics or math is a plus.
7. Research experiences or experiences in academic competitions are desired.
8. No GRE is required.
1) Interested students can send their resumes and scanned transcripts to Dr. Xia;
2) After review, candidates will be interviewed by phone;
3) Qualified student need to take a TOEFL to meet UBC requirements, if they haven’t done so;
4) Student with oral offer need to submit official application to the department of Materials Engineering, indicating that Dr. Xia is the faculty member of interest.
5) Official offer will be issued by the department. Admitted student will be fully financially supported with a research fellowship.
The successful applicant is expected to join UBC in Sep. 2016.
Please send your inquiry to:
Dr. Guangrui Xia