One master or PhD student position (subjected to qualifications and suitability) is available to start in Jan. 2017 in Prof. Guangrui Xia’s group, in the Department of Materials Engineering, the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada|
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the research, students with a bachelor or master degree from Materials Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Microelectronics, optoelectronics, Applied Physics, Physics are all welcome. Please note that candidates to the PhD program of the department need to have a master degree or expect a master degree before the start date.
1. GPA ranking above 10 out of 30 (for Chinese schools), with major GPA > 85/100.
2. Undergraduate education from the following universities is highly desired: Tsinghua University, Peking University, University of Science and Technology of China, Zhejiang University, Nanjing University, Fudan University, Shanghai Jiaotong, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
2. Courses on semiconductor materials/devices especially on optical materials/devices are highly desired.
3. Proficient in coding or experiences in materials or device simulation tools are desired.
4. A solid background in physics or math is a plus.
5. Research experiences or experiences in academic competitions are desired.
6. No GRE is required.
1) Interested students can send their resumes and scanned transcripts to Dr. Xia;
2) After review, candidates will be interviewed by phone;
3) Qualified student need to take a TOEFL to meet UBC requirements, if they haven’t done so;
4) Student with oral offer need to submit official application to the department of Materials Engineering, indicating that Dr. Xia is the faculty member of interest.
5) Official offer will be issued by the department. Admitted student will be fully financially supported with a research fellowship.
Please send your inquiry to:
Dr. Guangrui Xia